Category Archives: Office Cleaning Services
Surfacing cleaning alone in your office space will do little to stop the spread of disease among your employees. In fact, if done incorrectly you could even cross contaminate yourself into an epidemic. Fast spreading communicable viruses have been all over the news lately and the largest culprit of them all, the common flu virus, can bring your office to a grinding halt. In fact, the flu virus is responsible for over $87 Billion a year in lost productivity and medical bills in the US.
Many small companies struggle with justifying the cost of hiring a cleaning company. In addition to making the office presentable, the right type of cleaning can also help create a healthy environment for all employees. If you have been noticing that viruses spread like wild-fire throughout your company then improper cleaning might be the culprit.
First of all, commercial cleaners are experts at knowing what to clean and how to clean it. Due to repeated use, keyboards and telephones in an office can harbor more bacteria than a toilet seat. These items as well as other office tools and surfaces need to not only wiped down but completely disinfected. There should be a schedule for deep cleaning and replacement of these items over time.
Access to better quality cleaning products is another great benefit to hiring an outside company to do your cleaning. Your cleaning company should use EPA regulated hospital grade disinfectant to stop germs and bacteria from taking over. They will also have systems in place for preventing cross contamination between different areas of the office. For example, you don’t want to use the same rags to clean the bathroom, kitchen and lobby because you could be spreading germs from one area to another.
The office kitchen and appliances are another area that can easily spread viruses. While employees should be encouraged to clean up after themselves, commercial cleaning should also be utilized to clean tables, floors, dishes and appliances. Clean out the refrigerator and coffee pots regularly as well.
Other great tips to keeping your office virus-free are: implementing a stay-at-home policy for anyone exhibiting cold or flu symptoms and having alcohol-based hand sanitizing stations throughout the office. Hand washing and sanitizing can go a long way in helping to stop viruses from spreading as hand to face contact is one of the biggest risk factors.
Using commercial grade cleaning products and hiring a cleaning company to keep things tidy and disinfected will greatly help to cut down on employee sick time and loss of productivity. A company can easily reclaim the money spent on commercial cleaning with the elimination of so much downtime.
A service has value when it can solve a problem, generate income or create efficiency for your business. Surprisingly, hiring a professional cleaning company for your office can generate tons of value that you may normally overlook. With the correct services in place, the cost of your cleaning service can be recouped with less employee downtime and more business won.
- Creating A Comfortable Work Environment – Problem Solved!
- Look Totally Professional – and Generate More Income!
- Bringing In Specialists Saves Your Precious Time!
Each individual has a type of work environment that makes them more productive. These preferences might be unique from person to person but one universal truth when it comes to productivity is having a clean workspace. Coming in to a clean office each morning will increase production, instill a sense of company pride and show employees that you respect and value them. Additionally, clean surfaces can radically lower the spread of infectious diseases and lessen downtime. During cold and flu season, having a clean office can be the difference between a few sniffles and a full blown office epidemic.
Never underestimate the power of a clean office! When clients visit you it pays to have a spacious, well lit, freshly cleaned lobby to greet them. Imagine the embarrassment if your clients are made uncomfortable by smelly full trashcans or an unclean restroom. Make sure your workspace looks and smells fantastic! This pride of ownership will help clients see you as a trusted professional they can do business with. An untidy office can be a huge turn off. Win more business when the look and feel of your workspace matches the level of service you bring to the table.
Your specialty probably isn’t cleaning toilets and dusting countertops and you don’t pay your employees for emptying wastebaskets or taking out the trash. In order to effectively leverage your time you need to delegate tasks to third parties who specialize in that area. Professional cleaning crews have the right equipment and supplies on hand to get the job done with skilled employees who have specific knowledge about corporate cleaning. Specializing and leveraging can lead to more hours in your day and more money saved overall. Carefully interview the top cleaning companies in the area to find the right fit for you.
Depending on the size and needs of your business, your cleaning crew might need to clean throughout the day or do more complete cleanings at night when staff is gone for the day. Either way, custom plans exist for all types of companies. Once you have professional cleaning services in place you’ll wonder how your company ever survived without them!
Looking for high caliber commercial cleaning, contact us today for a free quote!
Advertising and branding play a huge role in deciding which cleaning products people and companies choose to use. When it’s time to buy some new window cleaner you go to the store and choose a brightly colored bottle with a clever name and a good price – but do you actually have any idea what’s in the bottle?
The chemical recipes of many household cleaners are actually quite harmful to humans, animals and the environment. Once you know the risks, it’s easy to see why “green cleaning products” are getting so much attention these days.
There are many advantages to going green when you clean; here are a few of the big ones!
- Healthier Humans
- Purer Environment
- Less Expensive
- Fewer Antibacterials
- Knowledge is Power
Toxic chemicals get absorbed through the air, water and skin by the humans (and animals) that are exposed to them. Young people and the people who do a lot of the cleaning are the most at risk. Exposure to toxic cleaning chemicals can cause skin, eye and respiratory irritations. Prolonged exposure can cause allergies and asthma.
Chemicals from cleaning products can contaminate the air and water causing damage to the environment. Switching to greener cleaning products can help protect the ozone and make the air and water around you safer and more pure.
Green cleaning products contain less expensive ingredients like vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil. Not only can you curb your cleaning bill with these all natural ingredients but businesses can also benefit by reduced sick time and healthier employees.
Antibacterial soaps and cleaning compounds were all the rage for a while but now we know better, over use of antibacterial products can lead to resistance to drugs you need when you are sick and has contributed to the creation of “super viruses.” Green cleaning does not contain harmful antibacterial agents.
It is much easier to know exactly what you are putting on your surfaces and in turn, your body, when you use green products with ingredient labels you can understand easily. If a product has too many long complicated sounding ingredients, chances are, it’s not healthy for you or the environment!
Dust is omnipresent. It coats your counter tops, lines your floors, covers your carpets, floats in the air and settles on your body.
An organic or inorganic solid particle, dust is visible and invisible, ranges in size from below 1 µm up to around 100 µm – i.e. from microscopic particles to the consistency of grains of sand – and is released into the air either via natural decay or through man made processes. Dust is generally regarded as a nuisance that can cause minor and major health issues – including nasal irritation, itching, asthma, cough – and in worst cases, affect the brain, kidney and other organs.
SEE MORE: Benefits of a Healthy Work Environment
But there are several prevalent myths about dust that need to be addressed, so you could take proper precautionary measures to subvert negative consequences. Following are five (PLUS one) common ones:
1. Mopping eliminates all dust: While sweeping and swabbing your home regularly is definitely recommended, it does not remove all the dust. Dust is still present on your mattresses, pillows, sofas. Regular vacuums recirculate dust into the air, which then settles down on surfaces and into other hidden nooks and crevices. More importantly, dust is not produced just one time. It is constantly moving into your home through open doors and windows. Even internal appliances, fabric fibers and cooking can contribute to dust particulates in your home. Hence, it is near impossible to eliminate dust simply by vacuuming and mopping, although some vacuum cleaners equipped with a High Efficiency Particulate Air or HEPA filter do a better job than regular vacuum cleaners.
2. Dust cannot be explosive: On the contrary, many products – including agricultural products, metals, chemical dusts, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, textiles and plastics – can become combustible dust in the right conditions and concentrations. In essence, any workplace that generates dust is at risk. According to the Canadian Center for Occupational Health and Safety
3. Household Dust is Not Toxic: Household dust is made up of several components, depending on your locality, weather conditions, cooking preferences, lifestyle and so on – and, contrary to popular opinion, is NOT mostly human skin cells. It is a complicated and icky mixture of internal and external pollutants, some of which are toxic. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) states that a common household toxin is chemical flame retardant, which has been added to several everyday items, such as TV, computers and furniture. These chemicals have been known to ‘escape’ or ‘shed’ from products and settle as household dust, which can prove quite harmful to your family, especially to young children. Periodically cleaning your home with special-filter vacuums and wet mops, along with dust-proofing hard-to-reach crevices, might help minimize the negative side effects of these unfortunate toxins.
4. Dust and Dust Mites Are the Same: In actuality, dust and dust mites mean different things. While dust is an accumulation of tiny, non-living particulates from various natural and man made sources – and are generally suspended in air – dust mites are living organisms that are tinier than dust particles and feed on shed human cells. Most of the allergies occur due to our intolerance to the fecal matter of such dust mites. Dust mites – like any fungi – thrive in humid environments, so a dehumidifier will go a long way in negating their presence!
5. All Kinds of Dust Pose Similar Hazards: As per the World Health Organization (WHO), the health risks associated with dust particles varies depending on the type of dust and the exposure to the dust. The exposure, in turn, depends on the air concentration, particle size and length of exposure. The particle size determines how long it remains suspended in air and where it gets deposited in the respiratory tract. In addition, whether you inhale through your mouth or your nose, and how long you hold your breath, affect the impact of the dust particles. Inhalable dust (less than 100 microns) enter the mouth and nose during normal breathing; Thoracic Dust (less than 10 microns) are particles that will pass through nose and throat to reach the lungs, while Respirable Dust – the smallest dust particulates of less than 5 microns – penetrate into the gas exchange region of the lungs, making them the most hazardous for your health. This way, the effect of dust depends on a gamut of factors, and it is crucial to take timely and apposite preventative measures depending on the type of particle.
Now, for the +1 myth that deserves to be noted:
Dust Has NO Benefits: Dust has gotten a bad rap – and quite deservedly. They are scratchy, itchy and simply a pesky pain in our lives. HOWEVER, just like there are two sides to everything, dust too has its benefits. Dust particles scatter sunlight in all directions, which prevents our surroundings from turning completely dark for around couple hours around sunset. Also, the scintillating and multi-hued twilights, sunrises and sunsets could be attributed to dust particulates suspended in air. Finally, certain types of dust particles – called condensation nuclei – retain moisture and cause rain
Hopefully, busting these myths help you better understand the enigmatic phenomenon of dust. You can now take appropriate measures to incorporate a healthier lifestyle at home and outside.
One of the largest expenses for businesses today is caused by downtime and health care related costs. One of the easiest ways to provide an environment that promotes health rather than puts it at risk is by switching to green cleaning products. You can save money by creating a safer working environment for everyone in your office. Take the necessary steps to make your company into a greener place work and you could reap the benefits of reduced healthcare costs and less sick time used per year.
While it is difficult to do heavy commercial cleaning without any chemicals, there are ways to greatly reduce their impact. Green cleaning products are made of ingredients that are more favorable to the environment and less toxic to humans. By not using harsh cleaning chemicals you can ultimately reduce sick time and many illnesses. Think of it this way, your employees spend 8-10 hours a day at work, this much exposure to toxic chemicals can have a profound effect on their health. They will appreciate your efforts to improve their working conditions.
Toxic chemicals can cause skin irritation, respiratory distress, asthma and other illnesses. Studies have shown that working in a clean environment increases productivity, happiness and health.
SEE MORE: 5 Advantages to Green Cleaning
In addition to making employees healthier and more productive, going green can also save you money as these products bought in bulk can often be less costly. The two savings combined can mean a huge recovery of funds for your company.
Green cleaning isn’t only about bottles full of less harmful chemicals but can also reference using high efficiency vacuum cleaners, HEPA filters, preventative maintenance and reusable materials. Many companies are getting educated on green cleaning and hiring cleaning companies that are experienced in green cleaning products and procedures.
To hear what a green commercial cleaning company can do for your business, fill out the form to the left.
Holidays mean food, family and fun. But they also mean clutter, cleaning and chaos!
Although Image One Facilities is a commercial cleaning company, we are often asked about tips on how to clean up after a holiday or a party at home.
So we decided to come up with five simple holiday cleaning tips that will allow you to enjoy your festivities without getting frustrated about the post-holiday cleanup:
- Use Disposable Cutlery: Why take on more mess when you can eliminate nearly half the clutter using disposable cutlery?! Washing your cooking utensils is enough of a headache. Do not stress yourself some more by scrubbing those spoons, forks, plates and knives. If plastic is not for you, there are other options like disposable wooden-ware that can help you out immensely. An additional tip is to cover your tables with a protector sheet. You could then easily wipe off the grime using a spray and a rag or just toss the sheet into the bin.
- Soak Grimy Pots and Pans: Do not let your grimy pots and pans sit outside for too long. The grunge will harden and it will become much harder to scrub them later. Instead, soak them immediately in warm water and add a dollop of dishwater detergent. This will soften the stains, making it much easier to clean them later.
- Take Out the Trash Periodically: With the gift-wrappings and ribbons and other trash, chances are your bins will fill up quickly! Don’t wait to take them out. Instead, dump your trash in your outside receptacle immediately. This will not only make your home look beautiful, you will also FEEL better without all the dirty trash lying around. We would also encourage to spray some gentle room fresheners every once in a while to keep your home smelling fresh and clean all day.
- Wipe Spills and Other Easy Stains Immediately: We are not asking you to run around with a spray and rag the whole day! But you would have to give your home a good dusting once the party dies down and the guests leave. So why not make this process easier by taking care of the simpler stains – like spills on your coffee table – immediately?! Cakey stains can be quite irritating and depressing. Hence, it is also psychologically better to get rid of them as soon as possible. The less you have to do, the better you will feel about the cleaning process.
- Ask for Help: Don’t try to be a superhero and do everything yourself! You deserve to enjoy your party too. Hence, it is OKAY to ask your guests to pitch in with some simple duties, like wiping the dishes or taking out the trash. Eliciting their help will also allow you to spend more time with your family and friends, instead of you being holed up in a kitchen while the others have fun.
Holidays are supposed to be restful, happy times. We hope our five simple cleaning tips help you enjoy these merry moments.
Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and have a fantastic year ahead – love deeply, live simply and laugh wholeheartedly.
Happy Holidays, friends!
Learning was FUN at ISSA 2013: Las Vegas
Industry trade shows and conventions are melting pots of ideas that spark innovation, collaboration and growth within a community. They are especially useful for small business owners like me to communicate and connect with the best in our industry.
I – along with Steve and Michael from Team Image One – had the incredible opportunity to attend the ISSA Trade Show and Convention held in Las Vegas last week, from November 18 to November 21
ISSA – a Worldwide Cleaning Industry Association – is committed to ‘advancing clean and driving innovation’ through sponsored events, such as educational seminars and interactive annual global conferences.
The ISSA Show is a great opportunity to see what new and innovative ideas and equipment are emerging in our industry. It’s the one show that brings all the manufacturers, distributors, building service contractors and “in house” facility service teams to one place each year.
Each year, I come with an open mind and learn something new about our industry. Be it innovations in equipment, new software, advancements in cleaning techniques or systems to improve operations, there is something for everyone to learn.
This year too, the show was replete with motivating keynote speeches and engaging colloquiums that offered invaluable tips and strategies on operations development, customer service, cleaning best practices, sales and marketing guidance, leadership empowerment and brand growth.
Click on this link to gather more information about ISSA 2013: http://www.issa.com/?id=tshow_issa_interclean_las_vegas_2013&lg=
I would definitely recommend that you watch the embedded keynote speech by the CEO of Zappos, Tony Hsieh, who shares some valuable ‘secrets’ about how to build a respected, long-lasting brand based on a strong focus on quality customer service and interactive company culture.
Aside from these scheduled events, I enjoy attending such trade shows to get closer to and communicate with fellow entrepreneurs. It’s very humbling to learn from and share with like-minded individuals who are experiencing similar challenges. Finally, participating in conferences is a fun way to generate goodwill for your company and strengthen your brand image within your industry.
To sum up, I had a wonderful time interacting with my peers and other industry mavens at this year’s ISSA Trade Show Convention.
ISSA Orlando 2014, here I come!
What about you? Do you enjoy attending trade shows and conventions?
Effective cleaning in the workplace can reduce office hazards. It helps you accomplish tasks easily and safely. With regular office cleaning, you can increase your business’ productivity and efficiency. Poor housekeeping is often one of the reasons for accidents and injuries. Your employees will get sick frequently, which can cost you money.
Business cleaning is an investment. It can help improve your bottom line, the environment, and the health of your workforce. This doesn’t mean you have to spend a fortune on office cleaning. Allotting a reasonable amount of your budget for commercial cleaning, however, can do a lot for your business and give you sizable returns.
Cost of Absences
Each employee takes an average of 7.7 sick days per year. This translates to about $225.8 billion annually. Common reasons for not going to work are flu symptoms and exposure to allergens or dust. Performance in the workplace decreases by three to eight percent when employees develop flu symptoms. Exposure to dust or allergens can affect your employees’ cognitive skills by as much as six percent. Furthermore, unplanned absences can reduce your company’s productivity by more than half, which may reduce your customer service or sales by 39%.
Having a well-planned injury and illness prevention program in the office can help you maximize your workforce, reduce unexpected expenses, and increase efficiency. Identifying hazards and controlling risks are essential parts of this program. Knowing the equipment or areas in your workplace with high levels of contamination helps you determine the right course of action to take. Once you know these areas, think about hiring Chicago cleaning services for your office.
Reasons You Should Invest in Office Cleaning
The Real Value of Cleanliness
The secret to a safe and efficient office is to keep it clean and minimize dangers in the workplace. Having a clean facility can help increase profits and improve customer loyalty, especially when clients always visit your office or store. Don’t put your employees and customers at risks of diseases and accidents by not managing your office properly. Regular cleaning can go a long way.
The best way to keep your office clean is to hire a professional staff to manage your workplace. Outsourcing your office cleaning needs is a convenient way of preventing diseases in the office. As you’re not using your in-house resources, you won’t have to worry about decreased productivity. Your employees can focus better on their primary office roles. With a dependable and professional commercial cleaning service, you can improve safety in the office without sacrificing productivity.
With clean surroundings, you can increase employee morale, reduce stress, and create a positive ambiance in the workplace. All these can lead to a higher return of investment in a short time.
Take the first step to a safer and healthier workplace. Look for a commercial cleaning service that you can trust. The right company must know how to respond to your needs and must care about your employees as much as you do. In Chicago, you don’t have to look too far. Image One Facility Solutions offers professional janitorial services to businesses of all types and sizes. Contact us for more information about our company and services.
Outsourcing your cleaning to a responsible janitorial company will make your business more productive, cost-effective and efficient. By delegating cleaning services to an outside firm, you will automatically free up more time to focus on your core competency (or Unique Service Proposition), thereby giving you a competitive edge and improving the bottom line of your business. Below are three main reasons to outsource your cleaning services:
(a) Ensures Professional-Grade Quality of Cleaning
Would you allow your Financial Manager to undertake the duties of an HR Consultant?! No! Because you recognize that their expertise lies in different areas and, therefore, your company will be better off harnessing their respective talents.
Similarly, commercial janitorial businesses have an expertise in cleaning. They are well-appraised with the current technologies – such as green cleaning techniques – have a wonderful training and communication system in place and promise consistently high-quality cleaning in a cost-effective manner. Image One Facility Solutions, for instance, has a proven training and support system for its employees and franchisees, ensuring that they are well-qualified and well-trained to deliver high-quality cleaning services.
Check out the video below where Tim Conn, Image One’s founder, talk about why outsourcing is a good idea:
In-house resources would find it very hard to replicate the professional-grade quality of cleaning offered by companies with an expertise in this field. Also, remember that commercial janitorial businesses are accountable for their level of service, as specified by the contract. Hence, you can rest assured that they will do their best to make your company look aesthetically beautiful and functionally efficient!
(b) Saves Tangible and Intangible Costs
You might wonder how employing another company to clean your business can save money! Sounds counter-productive, right?! Not really. Think about it.
If you do not outsource your cleaning services then you have one of two options:
- You employ people specifically for this purpose, which means you are responsible for their salary, leave package, retirement plans and any other operational costs, much like a normal company. However, by outsourcing your services, the cleaning company will now be responsible for all these costs. You would have a specified contract with the cleaning company wherein you agree to pay for their services, either periodically or on an as-needed basis. In other words, you save money because the cleaning company would have absorbed most of these tangible costs
- You utilize existing employees for cleaning, which implies that their responsibilities will be spread thin, thereby lowering their morale, increasing their stress levels and decreasing their productivity. These are intangible costs you can live without! Outsourcing your janitorial services will not only allow your employees to focus on their originally assigned tasks, but will also result in a much cleaner (and healthier) environment where you, your employees and your company can thrive and prosper.
(c) Allows for Flexibility and Scalability
As mentioned above, utilizing in-house resources to clean can lead to tangible and intangible losses, along with diminished productivity.
One of the primary reasons in-house resources don’t work is because of their rigidity. When you employ a few employees just for cleaning purposes, it’s possible that there will be down-times when their services seem either unwanted or too expensive. Unfortunately, you are still stuck with paying the same salary and perks. It’s like having a ‘permanent’ albatross around your neck!
On the other hand, outsourcing your cleaning services brings in flexibility and scalability to your operation. A good janitorial company will adapt their services to suit your budgetary and operational needs. You can either contract these services periodically or schedule them on an as-needed basis, ensuring that every penny you spent has been utilized efficiently. In other words, you get your bang for your buck!
So, you see, outsourcing your cleaning services does help! However, keep in mind that choosing the right cleaning company is very important. A less-than-efficient janitorial business will offer you none of the aforementioned advantages, instead hurting you in the long run.
Hence, choose a commercial cleaning service that is responsive to your needs, and watch your productivity and efficiency grow!
Image One Facility Cleaning Solutions offers its janitorial services for offices around Chicago. Call us at 630.616.1010 or submit our online form on the left to obtain a FREE Quote today